8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - 16mm Magnetic Sound Tracks

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 16mm Magnetic Sound Tracks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:03 am 
Film Expert

You sure you're not from Missouri?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXNqFoVUCGU

These pictures are too large to embed

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/mXNqFoVUCGU/maxresdefault.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5112/5865 ... c95a_z.jpg

http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwM ... ~60_84.JPG

http://www.cinemantika.fr/629-1990-thic ... 2-16mm.jpg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks, Joe. You saved me the trouble.
:smile:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 pm 
Film Expert

The pics were fantastic but a few of them were of experimental or projectors from WW2 again, experimental. I am asking about the home or collector market. Now I've seen the projectors at least two that I can believe were released for the home market. Still, my argument is that 16mm magnetic never caught on here in the states and isn't as readily available as standard double track optical or variable density prints. In the states it was an experiment gone too expensive and I've never seen a need for it in the collector market. Am happy to see some examples of it though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:17 pm 
Film Expert

In my humble opinion you're all right. Jan gave a good clue.

16mm Mag was a camera format largely invented for TV news crews, if I'm not mistaken, or for home-movie one-offs for the home enthusiast who had enough money to go that more expensive route. Yes, I've actually seen 16mm mag sound on a feature - a VS print of the original silent "Phantom of the Opera" where the negative did NOT have a music score, so it was added after the fact. The mag track and bad storage made the print so acidic that it was buckled worse than my belt before I ever got it, and was sadly unprojectable.

I've also seen camera film with a narrow magnetic stripe intended to fit around double-perf sprocket holes so silent stock could be made to have sound.

But normal feature distribution this way? Nope, never heard of it, just like Eric.

This is totally different from full-coat magnetic film used in pre-digital-era editing and mixing, which is also not a collector's normal domain, but I digress...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 pm 
Film Expert

Thanis Bill,
There have been a few people that make posts on this forum then disappear who claim to have magnetic prints for sale or looking for them. I have encountered few in the several years I have done this. From my understaning Scopitone prints were used in a single stripe 16mm jukebox format and there aren't many of them around. Even fewer are wanted. My studies show that 16mm magnetic stripe was an experiment gone bad since the cost was so high to stripe 16mm. For that reason it didn't catch on to the collector market. At the time 16mm was considered for use in the educational market and optical was a one-pass developing system with decent sound for an educational setting. Later, when Canadian multiplexes were introdeced the double mono optical soundtracks were adopted for modern releases. Those are mailnly what I have in my collection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Erik Schoolcraft wrote......

Quote:
From my understaning Scopitone prints were used in a single stripe 16mm jukebox format and there aren't many of them around. Even fewer are wanted.

I have close 100 Scopitones! There are very sought after and can be expensive especially if they are on I.B. Tech stock. The sound quality is excellent! Also, some 16mm airline prints have optical and magnetic tracks to accommodate two languages.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:29 pm 
Film Expert

16mm magnetic sound projectors are comparatively rare because optical sound was indeed the general rule for release printing of entertainment and educational films. Schools, churches, etc. generally did not need the dual capability. But combination mag/optical machines were made by most manufacturers (Kodak, B & H, RCA, etc.), and used mainly by TV stations; not only the permanently mounted film-chain units but also portable machines used for previewing news footage and demonstrating locally-made commercials to local advertisers. Sometimes, lecturers showing personal films who did not need multiple prints would use equipment of this type as well; also possibly the advanced amateurs mentioned earlier who owned or rented TV news-type sound cameras.

Most mag/optical projectors were all-in-one models; the notable exception being Kalart Victor, whose unique design allowed them to sell a magnetic sound head as an aftermarket accessory; it attached in place of the optical head. And yes, I have seen Kalart mag heads "in the wild."

I've even seen and operated a huge heavy beast made by Siemens that had both magnetic and optical playback in front AND a second magnetic head on the back for running double-system film and separate track. The sprockets running the film on both sides operated on common shafts so both films would run in strict sync. Each reel arm had two working sides, driven from the middle by an interior mechanism. This again would probably be used mainly by TV stations or film producers.

Last edited by Jeff Missinne on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:31 pm 
Film Expert

I have to agree with Jeff and add to it. Mag stripe on 16mm was used on camera film and some prints but few. In the collector market here in the states, optical was the norm and was the only format for educational and personal use films. There were a huge number of variations from single track optical to multi track (WW2 Prints) variable density, Dual track (Modern used in Canadian multiplexes and by Disney) and a number of other optical tracks that I have examples of but don't know how to put a name to them but they were different optical sound tracks. Scopitones were a collector nich and there aren't a lot of modern projectors that can play them. Original prints in mag are sought after but there aren't many of us that can show them since it wasn't a widespread format. All 16mm I own is in some sort of optical sound format.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:28 pm 
Film Expert

Just by accident, I found a set of pix of that double-headed Siemens monster I referred to a while back. Getta loada this thing... [set5_b/set5_b/ack2.gif]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466

I don't think though it's quite as old as the seller thinks it is; maybe mid 1960's or so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:22 pm 
Film Expert

Holy crap. That thing is huge. I do agree with Dan on this point, Scopatone prints are hard to come by at a cheap price. My main argument is that some people enetering the collector market seem to think that 16mm modern feature prints are available in magnetic soundwhich isn't the case. It is a rare and valuable market. I get a rise out of people who post on here that they found a sound head or print in magnetic and think it was the norm. For the home collector, the norm were optical sound prints usually educational or Canadian theatrical prints.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next