8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - 16mm Magnetic Sound Tracks

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 16mm Magnetic Sound Tracks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone actually play 16mm features with mag tracks? I know several were printed with mag tracks for an alternate language.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 16mm Magnetic Sound Tracks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:53 pm 
Film Expert

You're right, Dan. I believe there were a few features printed like that.
Otherwise, weren't the majority of the mag tracked 16mm films educationals or industrials promotion films.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:18 am 
Film Expert

I've engaged on this argument before but post a pic of one single reel of magnetic 16mm film. Magnetic sound 16mm is a dream but if anyone can post a pic of the film I would love to see not only the film but any projector that can show it. I've been doing this for 25 years now and I've never seen a magnetic 16mm print or projector. I have seen a few experiments with 35mm but 16 was always optical. Prove me wrong. 16mm Magnetic sound doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:43 am 
Film Expert

I've recently acquired a B&H 8302 that can switch between optic and magnetic. I have a couple reels with magnetic from a television station, not features though. Hope to pick up some scopitone shorts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:25 pm 
Film Expert

There are Eikis which have both Optical and Magnetic capability. They're not all that uncommon. The NT-2; the RT -2. In fact all of the 2 models - the 2 signifies Optical and Mag playback. The NT-3, along with other 3 models, also has Mag recording, though they don't seem to be as readily available as the 2's.

The Eiki EX2000 was a Xenon version with Mag sound option. - again they don't seem to turn up too often these days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Most of the educational films here in the US that I have ran across are optical tracks.

I use my Kodak Mag/opt for Scopitone films.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:23 pm 
Film Expert

Again I post the same question. I have been in arguments with people now for 20 years that say that 16mm Mag is mainstream. I want to see one picture of one film or projector in 16mm that can show magnetic film. I have been in this for years and haven't seen one magnetic sound 16mm projector. I have 35mm magnetic sound prints as well as most small formats but nothing in 16mm. Can anyone show it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:29 am 

Scopitones are definitely 16mm magnetic. Optical/ magnetic sound 16mm projectors come up on eBay every now and then.

Attachments:
16mm.jpg
16mm.jpg [ 8.22 KiB | Viewed 280975 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:53 pm 
Film Expert

Erik Schoolcraft wrote:
Again I post the same question. I have been in arguments with people now for 20 years that say that 16mm Mag is mainstream. I want to see one picture of one film or projector in 16mm that can show magnetic film. I have been in this for years and haven't seen one magnetic sound 16mm projector. I have 35mm magnetic sound prints as well as most small formats but nothing in 16mm. Can anyone show it?

Erik,
Did you not see my reply above?

Google Eiki NT2 or Eiki RT2 and you will see a photo of a 16mm projector which shows 16mm Mag. They are quite common.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 pm 
Film Expert

I did see your post Mike but I was asking for one single picture of a magnetic sound film or projector. Chris provided one but in my memory, weren't Scopitone films meant for a jukebox type presentation way early in the format? I do know of the Scopitone shorts. I just want to see one home projector that can play 16mm magnetic films. Everyone seems to be talking about them but no one has a visual example.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next