8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Help! on a sound reader

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Help! on a sound reader
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:23 pm 
Film Expert

HELP!!!
anyone familiar with PRECISION Sound Reader 16MM/35MM, made by Precision Lab (model 800-RL)?
it's a small unit that can read sound (only) either optical or magnetic. i just bought one and am unsure of proper threading for mag reading, (it works for optical) and can't get mag track reading.
PS , I am trying to read the sound on 16mm separate mag tracks and can't afford or even find an interlock projector

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Help! on a sound reader
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 pm 
Film Expert

I talked to a couple other people that have been doing this for years and none of us know what you are talking about. Can you provide pics of your reader? Also, Magnetic in the states was never used on prints so you are talking above the collector market. I guess you are next going to ask about surround sound from your 16mm prints which doesn't exist also. It's important to know the basics of what your talking about before going into a collecor's market.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 am 

One is up for auction on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-16MM-PRECISI ... 4ac489e6c7

Some 35mm USA release prints indeed had magnetic tracks. I know there are also 16mm magnetics as I've been watching for a decent Pageant so I can branch out and start collecting Scopitones (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they are all magnetic releases)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:21 pm 
Film Expert

what i am talking about is what used to be called "Mag Tracks", the sound track on a 16mm (or 35mm) on a separate perforated magnetic tape (No image, just sound). With the signal encoded on such a large width , the quality was very high.
these were universally used in editing (steinbeck , moviola). i worked a lot with those myself and i am not a hundred year old. I happen to have a bunch of them from my own films and it's very difficult to find equipment able to read them, unless you have a steinbeck, large, very heavy, and quite expensive, IF you can find one. this is why i looked for info on that rare piece of equipment the Precision 16/35 sound reader 800-rl mentioned previously. Or an interlock projecteur , even more rare and expensive..
So i suggest , Mr Schoolcraft, that YOU should study a little more a field you call yours and in which you sound so arrogantly ignorant.
ps
thanks chris, i will check it out

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:22 am 
Film Expert

Thanks for the insult. Maybe you should not be so ignorant that 16mm was only used in the states and Canada for theatrical presentations. A little research should put you back in the closet. 16mm film itself has never been magnetically striped for cost reasons and 35mm mag was used extremery shortly for the same reasons. I know it exists and have seen the sound heads used on 35mm mag film but they are so spare that they aren't considered in the collector market. Most 35mm films released with a seperate magnetic track were released in the 50's before tech caught up in optical sound and the first Dolby surround prints started being released to theaters in the late 70's. After surround sound became legit many films had the mag tracks transferred to 4.1 optical sound. 3 Main channels and one surround with made the back channel a mono. Only in '96 did digital come about and seperate two rear channels of sound.
If you want to have a dog in this argument then provide one pic of 16mm mag striped sound film.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 am 
Film Pro

It appears, Jean-Francois, that you have offended Erik by ignoring the sub-heading of this Forum...

"The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World"

I confess I had also fallen into the same trap..... as I do not COLLECT, I suppose that Dan will now revoke my Membership. Please let me know, Dan.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:58 pm 
Film Expert

Martin,
Dan won't throw you off for that. Just trying to educate Jean a bit on film tech. Really he should be asking this on the 35mm portion of this forum since mag tracks on seperate film was an experiment with multiple tracks tried in the early 60's-late 50's and didn't go over. Glad he found one of the soundheads on Ebay but they aren't used in the collector market and the films are a far-cry to find. Also he made a serious mistake in his argument. Magnetic heads were used before the film entered the projection head so they wouldn't have needed an optical pickup which belongs 24 frames past the projection frame. Back then the technology wasn't in theaters to delay the sound from an optical head until the film went past the gate. Just calling someone out that doesn't belong here or know what they are talking about.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:30 pm 
Film Pro

And there was I thinking that the device Jean-Francois was talking about was a SOUND READER intended for stand-alone use on an EDITING BENCH for reading sound tracks only (where Sound/Picture separation was not an issue) , not on a PROJECTOR where the separation WOULD apply!
Silly me!!!!
How on earth I mis-interpreted both his posts AND the Ebay description, I really don't know.But then I'm as thick as two short planks.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

There is no posting policy here. I have not thrown anyone off. I do have a word censor for some words like peaches, peaches, and peachers. Oh! And mother peaches too. [set5_b/set5_b/willy_nilly.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 pm 
Film Expert

And that's why we don't curse on here.