8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Crazy stuff with this Elmo 16-CL

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Crazy stuff with this Elmo 16-CL
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:05 pm 
Film Expert

Now to add another strange thing to my list of WHAT IS IT. When the metal lamp cover is fitted in place the sound is lost. Remove the cover and sound is back. When cover comes within 1/4" or so of the lamp itself the sound again ceases. ??????????????????????????????

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Crazy stuff with this Elmo 16-CL
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Roger, is there an exiter lamp dedicated to the sound head or is the projection lamp for sound also?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

I just looked at the manual and see an exiter lamp. When you replace the lens cover does does the exiter lamp still light up?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Dan,

My exciter lamp is blown and I have one on it's way. It is mounted over the sound head. I didn't consider that it may be the problem. I still have sound but it is faint and a little distorted. My film is a bit loose but I don't know how to set the tension.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Aaaaah! The exiter lamp is blown. So, you ran a film with the projection lamp cover off and heard faint sound. That would be the light from the projection lens shining through the sound lens over the sound drum causing faint sound. If the exiter lamp was working and you ran a film with the projection lamp cover off, you would have heard a loud low frequency hum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm 
Film Expert

I can only add one thing to this, once your exciter lamp is replaced. As soon as you get sound up to snuff you have to realize that the projector was meant for classroom use. Projection for Dummies basically. My Eiki us much like your Elmo and was introduced near the end of 16mm projection. There is no way of adjusting the rear tension of the film. What happens is that once a slot-load is threaded the rear gear that pulls the film past the sound head still has to deal with the soundhead flywheel. The flywheel stabilizes the film to run at a constant speed. Sometimes this can take several feet of film. If it doesn't spin up correctly then your Elmo will jerk a couple frames of film ahead and throw off your image mostly causing jumping in your picture. The way to fix this is to run your film for about 5 seconds then shut your projector down. That way the flywheel is at full speed then restart the projector and you should have a steady image and be sync'd perfectly with the sound.
A slot-load is easy to load but you don't always get the perfect presentation unless you know how to use what you are working with. Start the film then stop it once the flywheel is up to speed then restart and you should have a good show. I've had the same problem with my current Eiki and past B&H slotload machines. The same fix works every time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:50 am 
Film Expert

I have ran some film through it and then rewinded and started again but with the same result each time. The roller arm that springs upward when selector is set to foward puts some tension on film just behind the sound head but bounces up and down due to the action of the film. So far I can't seem to recover proper tension. I'll keep fooling with it, maybe it will adjust itself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:42 pm 
Film Expert

Exciter lamp came in today and now I still have sound when projector lamp cover is in place. I still haven't gotten the slack out of my film yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 pm 
Film Expert

You don't start, rewind then try to restart to take up the slack. You start the projector, let it run for a few seconds, stop it and immediatly restart the projector. The tension wheel will bounce a bit until the flywheel is up to the speed of the film. You said you have an Elmo which I think is a single lever to both load and start the film. Turn and start it, let it run for a few seconds then turn it all the way back out until the film is unloaded. Right away turn it back to full projection and you should be good. Tension on the film should be perfect for a sound film and it should run smoothly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 am 
Film Expert

Thanks Eric I'll give that a try. I'll let you know if I have any luck tomorrow.