8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Bell and Howell 556 Shutter Problems

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Bell and Howell 556 Shutter Problems
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 am 
Film Expert

I recently found an old B & H 556 (Canadian version of the 552) on the streets of Birmingham the other day. A video conversion store was moving out and left it in the trash heap outside. I naturally picked it up and carried it home to see if it worked. Here's what I found...

The projection of light and sound are all clear and robust; however, I believe the shutter is out of sync since the picture just blurs by. Also, when you use the still function, it stops the picture between two frames.

If this is a shutter problem, do you all have any ideas on how to adjust or fix this problem?

Or do you think this is due to the model being Canadian and running on a different shutter speed?

Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: Still mode
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 91.72 KiB | Viewed 6559 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bell and Howell 556 Shutter Problems
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi, Justin and welcome to the forum.

There is no difference in shutter speed pertaining to US and Canada. I believe the claw is the problem. The claw or shuttle tooth is a two prong mechanism that intermittently swings forward to catch the perforated edge of the film. If you swing the lens open you will see a slit beside the aperture plate. The is where the two claws come forward to catch the film. If they do not clear that opening enough, they will not catch the film and you will see a blurred image on the screen. There is a way to adjust the claw depth, but I will have to research a manual and report back with the answer.

Be very careful not to stick your fingers near the shutter while it is in motion. It's like a saw blade.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:40 am 
Film Pro

First, check if it actually has a shutter!. You say it came from a "video conversion store"... it may have been modified so it could be used "frame by frame", in which case shutters are often removed. If that is the case, you could have a problem.
Also, with this model, check the worm gear for cracks near the ends or even along the length. If it is cracked, it is probably not worth your time and trouble as this is an expensive repair job which needs doing by someone properly equipped. I renovate projectors for fun; but I won't even tackle mine that has this problem.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:45 pm 
Film Expert

The shutter is present and working; however, after looking a bit closer it seems that the "teeth" on the intermittent mechanism aren't protruding out of the slot by the aperture plate. Guessing I'll have to try to get them to come out so they can grip the film between shutter movements.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Justin,

Take the back cover off and turn the shutter blade by hand while watching the claw move forward and back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 pm 
Film Expert

I did this. Turns out the shutter is in sync with the intermittent mechanism, but the prongs don't come out enough to grip the film on the downstroke. Hopefully if I can get this fixed and see what happens!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm 
Film Expert

I've worked on this model and similar projectors. The device that controls the prong's movement is located on the shaft for the shutter. If it is worn out then the claw will not stick out far enough to grab the film. There really isn't a way to compensate for this. I've tried bending the arm the claw is attatched to with little luck. The worst example of this problem is a GAF projector that used a cheap plastic piece to pust the claw forward and let it return by spring. (That was on a super 8 bearing in mind the difference) The plastic gear wore out extremely fast and after the first few films, rendered the projector unusable. That same piece in most projectors is made of Brass and contacts a brass push bar. Brass polishes brass as it's used, plastic wears out quickly and steel against steel pits and wears quickly unless properly lubed.
I've worked on a ton of machines and from what you are saying, you have a worn out projector. I see a lot of headaches and torn up film if you really want to work on it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:22 pm 
Film Expert

Good news! It's up and running like a beauty! Parts of the autoload functions were dry and caked with dust keeping them in the "load" position. Thorough cleaning and lube freed everything up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:58 am 
Film Expert

This is a frequent problem nowadays with the autoload linkages getting sluggish (not releasing all the way) or gummed up to the point of seizing up.

Frequently, the original lubrication of the autoload linkages and pivot points has dried out or gummed up/hardened. The cure is a complete teardown and relubrication. Might as well replace the worm gear too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Ken, welcome to the forum!

Ken is an encyclopedia of projector knowledge and a dang good technician. [set5_b/set5_b/smash.gif]